Brussels sprouts have a bad reputation. This is generally the result of boiling them to death without adding anything for flavour. In this salad they redeem themselves, coupled with cannellini beans for plant-based protein, they make a perfect vegan lunch or a side dish if you can’t give up meat.
Brussels sprouts and bean salad
- 400g Brussels sprouts
- 1 tin (400g) cannellini beans
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ lemon, juice only
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts by removing the outer leaves and cutting off the end.
- Peel and slice the onion and fry gently until translucent, taking care not to let them burn.
- Add the garlic and cook for a few more mins until fragrant.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and cook for approx. 5 mins until soft but not brown.
- Add the cannellini beans and gently stir through, being careful not to break the beans.
- Cook for another five mins.
- Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.