The best thing about eating seasonally is that you are so excited when the time comes around. Artichoke season is here and though they are quite finicky to cook and clean, it is well worth it. Make a big batch of this artichoke and broad bean mix and eat it all week long.
Artichoke and broad bean sandwich mix
- 2 artichokes
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp chilli flakes, optional
- 50g broad beans, peeled twice
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- Handful parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Bread, any type you prefer
- Steam the artichokes in a saucepan in a little bit of water for 20-25 mins until leaves come off the artichoke easily.
- When cool enough to handle, remove the flesh from the bottom part of the leaves until you get to the choke.
- Remove the hairy part of the choke and add the soft heart to the mixture of the flesh from the leaves.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and add the garlic.
- Simmer until fragrant and add the chilli flakes, if using.
- Add the artichoke and fry for a few mins.
- Add the broad beans, parsley, lemon juice, lemon zest and season with salt and pepper and mix through.
- Serve in pitas, in soft sandwich bread or on toasted Maltese bread